Since 1956, Bay Animal Hospital has been an advocate for the health and well being of animals in our community.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE RISKS OF LOW-COST STERILIZING:
Based on experience of our doctors', the concerns regarding low-cost sterilization clinics are high. They want the community to understand the value in the difference in price attached to sterilization procedures. Our doctors tend to see higher numbers of surgical complications than what is considered 'normal', in patients that undergo a spay/neuter at these 'express' clinics. Complications include infected and inflamed incisions, and worrisome, inadequate after-care monitoring/instructions, etc. Many animals are even sent home without proper pain medications after these major surgeries, which we feel is unacceptableable. While we realize having a pet spayed/neutered can be expensive, it's important to know the value in what you are paying for. Our advice to pet owners is to always ask what is included and be sure you are fully informed before scheduling a surgical procedure for your fur-baby.
The following demonstrates what's included in surgical procedures performed at
Bay Animal Hospital, where care & compassion come first:
- Gas anesthesia is used versus injectable sedation, this way sedation is more controlled & can be customized to each patient
- Pre-anesthetic blood work is required for all patients. This is to minimize unforeseen complications with anesthesia effecting internal organs such as the liver & kidneys
- Patients are operated on individually--using new, sterile supplies & instrument packs for each procedure
- Anesthesia is performed & monitored by a Licensed Veterinary Technician
- Pain medications are given prior to & post surgery (These may be non steroidal, anti inflammatory, or an opiate)
- Patients are kept warm by the use of heated surgery tables & heating blankets (Bair Hugger). We also administer warm fluids via IV catheter while your pet is being operated on
- Surgery is done via laser, reducing the risk of infection, minimizing bleeding, less painful for your pet, & making for a quicker recovery time
- Complimentary toenail trims are given to every patient while here for surgery
- When a procedure is complete, recovery is closely monitored by our Licensed Veterinary Technicians. Our surgical recovery suite is attached to our surgical suite, only separated by glass door for safety, while still offering direct site by the surgery team to your pet
- Pain medications go home with each patient as part of our aftercare protocols
- Depending on the procedure, your pet may be recommended to have an overnight stay, in which case they will be monitored by our staff to be sure any pain is controlled & activity levels are limited for proper recovery
- A personalized & detailed discharge packet made by your pets' surgical assistant that day, in which will be reviewed with you upon pick-up of your pet
- Pet owners are welcome to tour the surgery suite where their pet's surgery will be performed, prior to scheduling a procedure. We also have photos here on our website for your viewing & added comfort under the "Services" tab
- Our trained staff will handle the scheduling of necessary appointments for aftercare of a patient such as a medical progress exam, suture removal, drain removal, etc. & this information will be notated on your pets' discharge paperwork
Many pet owners mistakenly assume surgeries are performed exactly the same at all veterinary hospitals. Pet owners should be encouraged to ask questions about the specifics of how their pet's procedure will be performed, before making the decision in where they should go.
Bay Animal doctors and staff are dedicated to quality health care for pets and quality service to our clients. When scheduling a surgical procedure, please understand that as each pet deserves our full, undivided attention while here, we reserve the right to limit the number of surgeries we are able to perform each day, which may result in your pets' appointment being scheduled a week or two out from the time of your call.
We thank you for keeping this in mind.
Our entire team is fully committed to care & compassion for our patients & clients, always.
Give us a call at (989) 893-4549 today!